Dr. Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars
is a staple in the Finger Lakes. Edging upon their 50th year, this pioneer winery sits among rolling vineyard overlooking Keuka Lake. Just last week Dr. Frank wines were chosen to be poured at a State dinner hosted by Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton. Learn more about this historic winery by listening to the 15-minute podcast here
or with the player below. Become a fan of Dr. Frank's Vinifera Wine Cellars on Facebook
now for updates on specials like their current deal on their Salmon Run Meritage
and their featured wine of the month, 2010 Gruner Veltliner
This weekend in Finger Lakes Wine Country
is filled with Wine Trail events, BBQs and even a big 30th Birthday Party! There is no better way to enjoy the summer than to enjoy a delightful day with friends, family and a glass of Finger Lakes wine. Here are the highlights for this weekend including a preview of some upcoming summer events:
1. Barbecue at the Wineries, on the Keuka Lake Wine Trail
. (Also note that this event weekend repeats June 25-26.) For this weekend event, each of the eight Keuka Lake Wine Trail member wineries offer a different barbecued dish made with a New York State rub, marinade, or sauce. Who said northerners don't know how to barbecue? We're talking some lip-smacking, sweet and tangy goodness here! And wait until you pair that barbecued treat with a glass of delicious Finger Lakes wine. You're going to love it! There are some tickets still available for this weekend for $30 per person. Visit KeukaWineTrail.com
for more information.
2. Smokin' Summer Kickoff on the Seneca Lake Wine Trail
- Speaking of slow and savory, the Seneca Lake Wine Trail is also offering their spin on your favorite summer grillin' foods with the new event, Smokin' Summer Kickoff. The perfect way to jump start the summer! The event is co-sponsored by Java-Gourmet, a local company offering coffee-based sauces and rubs. Each winery on the trail will offer a grilled-favorite using a Java-Gourmet product and pair it with their award winning wine. Check out the 15-minute podcast
about this exciting event.
3. Tug Boat Wines 30th Birthday Party
- Lucas Vineyards on Cayuga Lake is celebrating the big birthday of their famous Tug Boat wines. Join them in a celebration next Sunday for live music, barbecue and clams (yum) and of course your favorite Lucas wines. Listen to the 15-minute podcast
with Jeff from Lucas Vineyards now to learn more about this birthday bash.
4. Andy Warhol: Cowboys and Indians Exhibit at the Rockwell Museum of Western Art
- In the 1980s, Warhol made several series of thematically related images featuring historys victims including Ten Jews of the Twentieth Century (1980) and Endangered Species (1983). Cowboys and Indians (1986) was his last series on the theme. Taking his images from photographs, Warhol portrayed aggressive cowboy types: General Custer, who became famous posthumously after the battle of the Little Big Horn; Teddy Roosevelt, shown in uniform as an Indian fighter; John Wayne, the quintessential Hollywood cowboy; and even Annie Oakley, the popular Buffalo Bill Wild West sharpshooter. In poignant contrast, he represented Indians mostly through Native American art objects (which he had photographed at the Museum of the American Indian in New York City) a Northwest Coast Indian mask, Hopi Kachina dolls, and a Plains Indian shield. His Native portraits are the vulnerable figures of a mother and child, and Apache Chief Geronimo after his capture and exile in Florida. Come see the exhibit this weekend or now through January 16, 2012.Go. Explore. More
. >>> Over 500 unique events happening throughout the summer in Finger Lakes Wine Country.
The father and son team at Shaw Vineyard
is producing some stunning wines. Come along with Steve as he takes you into the Riesling vineyards for a better appreciation of the unique soils of the Finger Lakes. You might even get a chance to see his dad on the tractor.Go. Explore. More.
Check out the new Web cam
at Ventosa Vineyards on Seneca Lake.
Do you love the Tug Boat wines from Lucas Vineyards
? These wildly popular Finger Lakes wines are celebrating their 30th birthday on Sunday, June 12 with a big birthday bash. From 1:00-5:00PM enjoy live music and entertainment by ATLAS (the band formerly know as The Atlas Linen Co.). A BBQ with steamed clams and locally-made wine ice cream with also be available for purchase.
The event will be held rain or shine under the tents and parking is free. Attendees are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or blankets and please leave coolers and pets at home. Cover charge for the music is $8 per person or $5 per Lucas Captain's Table Member.
Need more details? Give the winery a call at 607-532-4825 or visit the winery's event page
.Listen to the podcast
with Jeff Houck, winemaker at Lucas Vineyards, now to learn more about this exciting event.
To listen to more Escape to the Finger Lakes episodes, visit FingerLakesWineCountry.com/EscapeToTheFingerLakes.aspx
Fox Run Vineyards
is as passionate about wine as they are about the food that goes with it. Which is why the staff at Fox Run is excited to announce the opening of OPUS Cafe. OPUS Cafe is located at Fox Run Vineyards and will allow visitors along the Seneca Lake Wine Trail
to enjoy the perfect combination of fresh local food and wine.
"The Wine Trail is a great place to be and we thought the outpost at Fox Run was the perfect pairing," says Heather Tompkins, owner of OPUS Espresso & Wine Bar in Geneva, NY and former Executive Chef of Fox Run Vineyards Café and Halsey's in downtown Geneva. Each day, Heather and her partner, Chelsea Madia, prepare a fresh assortment of unique sandwiches, salads, soups and desserts. The menu, all from scratch, is made up of fresh, in-house roasted meats including turkey, roast beef, pork and salmon. Homemade garlic-balsamic vinaigrette and from-scratch-desserts round out the offerings. OPUS roasts their own coffee once per week.
OPUS Café at Fox Run Vineyards is open daily from 11 AM to 5 PM. You can enjoy their hand-crafted wines by the glass and by the bottle from our wine bar while dining al fresco on the patio by the vineyards or on the deck overlooking Seneca Lake. Bon Appetit!
Step back in time with Montezuma Winery & Hidden Marsh Distillery
on Saturday, June 4th from Noon-4 p.m. as the winery celebrates the rhubarb harvest season with its Olde-Tyme Rhubarb Festival
& Classic Car Cruise-In in Finger Lakes Wine Country
. Visitors will enjoy rhubarb specialties, while sampling some of the most unique fruit, grape and honey wines and spirits in the Finger Lakes. Refreshments include hots and hamburgers, rhubarb pie, rhubarb crisp, rhubarb chili, frozen wine slushies and of course wine! Purchase locally grown fresh rhubarb. The Cayuga Lake Creamery will be serving up its home-made ice cream and rhubarb wine sorbet.
If youre looking for some rhubarb fun, play to win at the rhubarb stalk throw or enter the hula hoop contest. Take a stroll down memory lane viewing some of the classic cars of the good old days on display. Classic car owners can register their car for free, no judging. Space is limited, pre-registration required by June 1st. Performing live on the Montezuma Stage will be The Acoustic Movers so bring your dancing shoes.
Addmission is free and all are invited to attend for a fun-filled day of food, live music and wine (fee for wine and food). For more information, contact email@example.com. Montezuma Winery is located at 2981 Auburn Rd (corners of Rt. 89 and 5/20) in Seneca Falls, NY 13148.
Pull out your tropical shirts, put on your sunglasses, go sockless in your boat shoes, wear your favorite beach hat, and join us for a weekend of relaxation in the tropics . . . just remember, life is what we make it! This weekend (March 25-27), enjoy a self-guided tour "cruising" the Seneca Lake Wine Trail
, visiting over 30 unique wineries, each with their own tropical theme, over the 2-1/2 day weekend of "fun in the tropics".
Heres your chance to break out of the winter doldrums and let your palate celebrate tropical-themed wine and food pairings. Visit the Trail, enjoy some great wine, sample the tropical dishes served at each of the participating wineries, and enjoy the many activities and themes that each winery takes special care to create. What better way to escape winter, than to cruise around the Trail sampling wines, eating unique food and having a great time with your friends and family!
Heres a sneak peek at a sampling of this years tropical wine and food themes
- Anthony Road Wine Company, Puerto Rican Cornmeal Pie
- Atwater Estate Vineyards, Grilled Polynesian Pork Quesadillas
- Fulkerson Winery, Key Lime Bread
- Glenora Wine Cellars, Small Jalapeno Corn Pancakes with Charred Tomato Salsa & Cheddar Cheese
- Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards, Cheeseburger in Paradise Slider
- Lakewood Vineyards, Caribbean Sweet Potato Salad
- Red Newt Cellars, Verjus Curd Mousse with Caramelized Pineapple
- Three Brothers Wineries & Estates, Hawaiian Cubed Chicken topped with Pineapple Salsa
- Wagner Vineyards, Peach & Mango Riesling Soup
The attendee gift this year is a custom Riedel glass, celebrating our 25th Anniversary. By attending multiple events this spring, fans can build a unique set of fine Riedel glasses, with a different glass style from each event. Each ticket holder receives the gift item at their starting winery.
Tickets can be purchased through Eventbrite: Seneca Lake Wine Trail
, anytime before March 26 at noon for these starting wineries: White Springs Winery (northwest), JR Dill Winery (southeast), Red Newt Cellars (southeast), and 3 Brothers Wineries (northeast).
PRICE: $30 per person (wine tasting ticket). $20 for designated driver tickets (alternative non-alcoholic beverage offered) tickets are limited. A modest transaction fee will apply.
Read the entire article
about Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards
in the current issue of Vineyard and Winery Management.
Tell us what you love most about Hazlitt: Red Cat or the Heritage wines?
Finger Lakes is featured in the April issue of Wine Enthusiast
magazine which hits stands and mailboxes next week. The story has been posted on the magazine's Web site today - click here to read.
Finger Lakes was also the feature of a farm to table story, complete with mouth-watering recipes! - click here to read.
Gotta love the Finger Lakes love! Happy reading.